http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415">http://www.knowmia.com/embed/lesson/15415"
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Thursday, April 25, 2013

An Introduction to PBL Learning





AN INTRODUCTION TO PBL LEARNING
Before watching this Edutopia video, I had a pretty good idea about what PBL is, I’d heard about it, then I learned about what it is and why it is supposed to be the right choice for today’s classrooms during different courses, also in the school where I work we started a math program designed following that model, it is working very well, students seem to be more engaged although I haven’t found significant improvement in grades, attitude has certainly taken a turn for the better.
After watching the video what caught my attention and kept me thinking about it, is how PBL completely changes the outlook for students regarding reasons for learning. As teacher we are often faced with the question: What are we ever going to use that for? Or why do we have to know that? With PBL students are first exposed to a situation in which knowledge of a particular subject is needed, in order to solve the situation.. That takes a huge weight of the teachers shoulders because you don’t have to prove to them that they need to know something, or force them to learn it, they will actually acknowledge the need to learn it in order to solve a problem.When you present a student with a situation, like in this case a problem that can be solved using a mathematical problem, they immediately start looking for ways to solve it, they bring back former knowledge, they work in teams, they investigate, inquire and luckily, with a little help they will at the end have acquired concepts without thinking that they were forced into them.




No comments:

Post a Comment